Sunday, October 21, 2018

Frugal mid month

Tuesday, I put the last of the green tomatoes in the freezer. Cleaned the pantry and moved some things around so it makes better sense... also will allow me to focus on what needs used up first and what we are low on. I had 10 jars of green beans. Forgot we lost 16 jars to bad lids, daughter 4 still has some of her's here and offered for us to keep them and use them as she has enough to go a few months. Her pantry is only 6 months. I caught the laundry up as I usually do that on Mondays and we went to visit parents instead. All loads were on the clothes line to dry even though they forecasted a freeze this morning we got nothings. I took leftover beef roast and broth and mixed it with leftover chicken and noodles my cousin made that I had shoved in the freezer and had plenty for dinner and enough for my lunch tomorrow.

Wednesday
Hubby is working today for a neighbor. He packed his lunch and we both mentioned at the same time it was weird for him to pack a cold lunch instead of leftovers that could be reheated. He was working outside with no place to to warm anything. He did take a thermos of hot coffee as he does drink it black. Said it wasn't bad even with the winds though the temp never got above 55. 
I ate the leftover noodles for my lunch and spent the day washing the fall bedding and blankets . All loads were dried on the line except the last , it's a heavy blanket but is still damp. I'm okay with the dryer running for one load as I turned off the furnace when I started the laundry since I have realized every time I open the kitchen door the furnace was kicking on. House never dropped below 64 but it will warm up quick enough between the dryer, furnace back and the oven when I bake biscuits after Hubby comes in from mowing the pasture and around the pond that he plans to finish tomorrow. I pulled pork chops (cut from the pork loin I bought at the beginning of the month) to go with pears (on sale with coupon). I will also make a salad with a pear and walnuts (from freezer that was a gift from a friend) and sweet potato (gift from neighbor for going after kerosene for them) to go with the biscuits. I have homemade strawberry pie filling (neighbor again) to go with vanilla ice cream if we decided we want a sweet.

AND THEN IT WAS A SLIDE DOWN HILL

we got the frost THURSDAY  morning so Hubby didn't want to cut anymore around pond , wasn't sure what was weeds and what was flowers since the frost killed the blooms.

I went to make waffles with the new waffle maker and it just kept ripping it apart(on line reviews say use thick batter with 2 eggs so I'll try that the next time.) I didn't want to waste the batter so I made funnel cakes
Friday we decided to hit the produce auction as I was still looking for onions,potatoes and sweet potatoes...
Wasn't advertised as butternut squash auction but that was pretty much all there was. I got some onions, a pie, candy for Hubby, maple syrup and a angel food cake in the area off the auction. SO since we didn't stay for the actual auction we went to Wapakonta to Walters Meats and SCORED. They had my sausages I had on my list, plus we got, hamburger patties, pizza burger patties, cube steak (for less than $3/lb) minute steak, round steak (that isn't paper thin), 10 lbs of hamburger, potato hash brown patties ,shoe string French fries and candy for Hubby. Adding 49 meals to the freezers. Cost is about $2 each meal.

We get the turkeys and hams in Nov and will have a total of 369 meals plus in the pantry. Then it's just milk etc to be bought during the year.

Feeling GREAT with that and then....Hubby GOT SICK. He very seldom gets sick but when he does it's BAD... dealt with that and then Saturday morning at 7 am I woke up in a Crohn's attack...
At least I can see the hospital pond out my window and Hubby is home (not visiting me ) with his crud. We now have some more answers of why I keep getting blockage. I have scar tissue from my appendix exploding and it stops my intestines from working correctly.

We will see when I get to go home... but at least Hubby is home with the babies

Rascal is pretty much laying at Hubby's feet most of the time and Wilbur and Charlotte are sharing the love seat behind Hubby. Usually Charlotte is laying on Wilbur

Blessed Be



9 comments:

  1. Love the doggie snuggling. Do you always have to be hospitalized when you get a Crohn's flare up? No medication you can take at home? Must be incredibly aggravating and expensive. Not to mention, painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do take meds but it doesn't stop from having blockage which shuts my intestines down almost completely. At least once in Oct for the last 6 yrs I've been in the hospital in not also in the spring...I'm under a lot of pressure to get the gardens in or finished then along with other stuff. I am lucky as Hubby's old company (he is retired) did give us ins and splits the cost with us but when I hit a certain amount of deductible they pick 100% up. I usually hit that amount in March and didn't this year YEAH. The hospital wasn't sure if I had hit it as they weren't getting anything back as my part.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry for you. I also have scar tissue from an appendix that causes problems. So I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother and two uncles had the same issues..frustrating as all get out LOL

      Delete
  3. Hoping this post means you are back home and feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got home Monday around 6 pm. Caught the crud from Hubby and now dealing with it... LOL

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear that you keep getting sick! It is Thursday now, and hopefully, you are improving each day. It is a great thing to know that you have lots of broth and other "easy" foods stored up to eat during this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have drank 6 qrts of broth, 2 qrts of pureed veggie soup.... SO glad I made the big stock pot worth

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry you are sick. I am inspired how you are able to get so much done in spite of your many difficult days. I, too, fight chronic illnesses and most days it is hard to do anything.
    Don't give up.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete