Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Feb 25th Meals from the freezer... Talk of pandemic

Hubby asked for a rhubarb or strawberry rhubarb pie... I pulled 1 qrt of rhubarb pie filling and 1 pint of strawberry pie filling, mixed them together and used store bought pie crust that had been in the freezer. It's now in the oven.

He wants an apple crumb pie next.

I pulled turkey noodles and sliced turkey out of the freezer to go with instant mashed potatoes, fruit cocktail and some veggie that I will find in the freezer for tonight's dinner.

I pulled strata out of the freezer for tomorrow . There is enough for 2 meals with adding sides.

I bombed the Feb pantry challenge of being efficient in the kitchen. Good Cheap Eats pantry challenge is to FILL the freezer... My freezers are FULL so we decide to empty the freezers. We also decided to go back to going to the store once a week until fresh produce starts coming in the gardens(late April /early May) as I've tossed enough that I am not trying to go every 2 wks anything more.

Hubby is an EMT... emergency medical technician... it is a level above first responder. He asked if we went on quarantine due to the pandemic coronavirus aka Covid-19, would we be okay including medical supplies. Unless we needed the antiviral shot, we are covered.

During the Black Death plague epidemic(7 yrs long ) quarantine ran up to 40 days.SO I thought would our children and grandchildren have enough food to go that long?

Out of 6 kids, 2 would be in trouble, both live in apartments with limited storage, I told them to shove canned goods under the furniture. Out of 6 adult grandkids... ZERO would be in trouble. Well two might resort to using clothes or towels for diapers. I suggested ordering some cloth diapers and rubber pants.

Hubby's parents have enough for 60 days including medications. Two daughter would need their meds brought to them , their pharmacy does deliver. Not life sustaining meds but I don't think their kids want to be around them when they are off their meds.

I also told Hubby that I know it could get worse for us if we have no access to fresh veggies during the winter. Daddy and Mother always talked about how sick people got because of that. So that is something we would have to deal with also.

9 comments:

  1. A thoughtful post. I know we couldn't last 40 days. I am concerned about my prescription meds: asthma inhalers, blood pressure med, thyroid med, and blood thinner,and insulin. I can't afford to stock up on them even if the doctors would prescribe a stock up amount, our insurance wouldn't pay for it. I think we could go two weeks without buying any food, but we need to stock up on T paper. I need to buy a bag of dog food. each bag lasts 2 1/2 months.

    I wish our President would quit taking it so lightly, by just saying it will be going away by April. We are going to be up that infamous creek without a paddle if the warm weather doesn't slow this virus down.

    They are finding out new info about this virus everyday. I was reading last night about it, and the time from exposuure to development may be much longer than they thought,possibly as long as 28 days and that the virus can live much longer on surfaces than they originally thought. We are now talking days instead of hours. I amgoing to have to find more storage space for cannedfood that we like and will eat later, toilet paper,evaporated canned milk, and maybr some dried milk, andy over the counter meds that we take that come from China.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have talked about a pandemic as well. Thankfully we don't take any meds do that would not be an issue. I added some shelf stable milk to my pantry this week. If you can set up a few pots in a sunny window and could grow some lettuce that would be hugely beneficial. I need to check my lettuce seed supply. If I saw it becoming an issue near me I would for sure get a good stock of perishable food on hand. I know from experience that others in my town would go out to do so an hour before the quarantine. I have become pretty good at making produce keep for a good while. As for our family, they are all in serious trouble. Not a one of them will listen and none live near us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what about sprouts? Super easy to grow and fresh every couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly don't know about getting sick without fresh veggies. I grew up in the 1950s, mom worked full time and we never ate a fresh veggie or a salad. Every veggie came in a can. Canned stuff was VERY big in the 50s. We were all extremely healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne if you ate kraut, pickles etc you would have been okay That's why ships had scurvy. Daddy's family didn't can anything. Everything was dried except for the potatoes.

      Delete
  5. Part of me worries with my immune system, but then the death rate is blow that of the flu so I don't worry. But I am happy I have a good food storage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, you're talking of lack of vitamin C. I'm sure we kids ate oranges and other things with vitamin C. I can't think of any of my friends whose working mothers cooked, had fresh veggies. I know it sounds quite odd but food technology of canned goods was really important to women then. No one was really thinking of reduced food value. The other thing women loved was their frozen veggies. For some reason we never had those, always the canned stuff. I grew up absolutely despising vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew a lady who was allergic to Vitamin C so I can tell you that every fruit and veggie has vitamin C except green peas. Imagine that being your only fruit of veggie.

      Delete
  7. I think we will be okay on food. Today, I am going grocery shopping just because I can afford to since ss hits today. I wonder if pharmacies and other delivery and pickup services will still be available.

    ReplyDelete