Tuesday, April 14, 2020

north garden started

 I spotted old sq ft boxes behind the garden shed that we could use in the north garden.

Hubby pulled them out and fixed what needed to be fixed (I get to remove the string as I will be using them for strawberries and onions.
 This is from the house, 4 of the red pots has blueberry bushes, one doesn't look like it's going to make it

The red pot towards the burn barrel has flowers in it. I have a couple smaller pots over by the blueberries that have a maple tree started from seed from the old farm. The tree had been started by landlords grandfather and given as a gift as a young tree when landlords Dad started building the house. The tree had been hit by lighting and they knew it was going to come down so I started seeds from it. I kept one for myself and gave him 6 when they got about a foot tall. I also have a lilac bush that was started for me.

This is that garden from the road . The patch on the left side is the asparagus... about 80 ft long and 5 ft wide. Thankful it's not over flowing at this point. We have 3 people that are wanting to take crowns next spring.If it does any better than last year they will find asparagus on their doorsteps instead of the zucchini LOL.

Hubby pulled out the boxes to the north garden. We walked what I thought I wanted then I changed it as soon as I mentions I was putting trellis on the strawberries this year to grow peas and beans... had to move the boxes as I didn't want to shade the rhubarb that grows the length of the garden... 18 patches. Good thing we like it.

He hates getting his picture taking LOL. The stakes are holding the trellis to the blackberries.. He is putting weed barrier down for the sq fts that bunts up against the barrier that is there for the berries. NO TRIMMING this way between the boxes or between the boxes and berries.

This is the sand box we had for Pat when he lived with us for a year while his mom (Daughter 4) went through recovery (clean and sober almost 6 yrs and got her Lupus and bipolar under control). This box will be for the strawberries that are already here... about 10 plants. They are in the grass so I want to move them.

The nectarine, peach, and apricot trees are in. Too bad of weather to plant right now so they are protected on the front porch. Hubby priced stone to put in the bottom of the pots.Planting them in pots for 1-2 yrs until we know for sure where we want them. Local place wants $15 for what would be each pot...Menard's is $3 for the same stone per pot. SO Hubby is going to Menard's. Not today as the high winds would make it hard to drive in. He wished he had already ordered the gravel for the driveway.

Since he is going to Menards, I asked him for a list for all the projects we decided to do. A trip to Menards wipes at the morning or afternoon. If we go ahead and get the stuff(money already set aside) then it's here, no running back and forth, no waiting until we are in that area anyways. Saves gas and time.






3 comments:

  1. I'm stunned at the amount of food you are raising for just two people. Have you ever added up the cost of all the dirt/seeds/trees/ plants/accessories etc. ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes we have... and it's the price of buying organic in the stores... sometimes a bit cheaper.If we hadn't moved I wouldn't be buying dirt or trees.Those amounts we had budgeted for converting the house to how we wanted. We did the inside the first year(still don't have closets LOL) and figured outside the 2nd and 3rd year. After this year it will be just adding fertilizer to the dirt

      Delete
  2. You have such a large place, I admire that you have the ambition to take care of it. I love Menards, but w do not have them out here.

    ReplyDelete