Monday, September 28, 2020

Daughter 4 with cancer and credit card fraud.

 Start of my Monday was letting my youngest know I am thinking of her as she was in the waiting room at the Oncologist to start jumping the hoops to get the stage 1 ovarian cancer dealt with. 

12 weeks radiation, 4 weeks break, 16 weeks chemo (iffy on whether she will lose her hair) and then maybe surgery. Her lupus is affecting her treatment.

The Oncologist gave her the number and name of a company that hires those going through this stuff a part time job and works with them. AND his office is helping her get medical coverage as Amazon warehouse let her go so she has no income and no ins. The Oncologist changed her diet... she has lupus and the beginning of Crohn's and now cancer... Nothing processed, canned (glass jars ok , metal not) fresh not frozen best, no deep fried, fried, microwaved or fast food. Unbleached organic flour (bread and pasta). ORGANIC everything. In season for a price... well , it's OHIO there is cabbage, brussels sprouts kale and some beets. Winter Sq and pumpkins. Maybe sweet potatoes and potatoes but lets get real, give it a month if that and it will BE NOTHING in season. Even if she hadn't lost her income , living expenses with medical expenses (she had a 70/30 plan with $2000 oop) isn't going to leave much for organic food where she lives. She can't live with us (her 5 dogs won't get along with Rascal or Wilbur. Charlotte would be okay as 4 of the dogs are her parents and siblings) because our income stops her from getting assistance on the medical side 

We already know due to a friend paying her adult child's rent on a regular bases that if the money is regular it is considered income when they try to get help. Her daughter was in the hospital off and on for 6 months and couldn't keep a job because of it. 

We can't chance Daughter 4 not getting the assistance. What we can do is put food on the table and in the dogs bowls. We can pay the vet bill that happens ever 3 months. Her daughter is taking over the laundromat costs. I can pay for the gas in the car as it's MY car. She already contacted her utilities and they asked for her Oncologist to fax them a paper so her electric and gas are down low enough her 15 yr old and 13 yr old are going to cover it . Her trash can go to her daughter's also. 

That leaves rent, water, and car ins. We will figure it out. AS she will do better where she is as our nearest cancer treatment center is over 45 min from us and her's in 15 and they have a program that they have a nurse that will stay with her IN HER HOME for 30-60 min after treatments to make sure she is okay.

While dealing with figuring out diet and getting her bills paid, my credit card texted and asked if I had made a purchase to Modere... I didn't even know what it was so the answer was no.

Credit card fraud, Then found out my credit card was missing. I know where I used it last and the moron that stole it... actually had what they bought sent to their HOME. so it's not going to be hard to nail them. They had to have pulled it from my purse while I was at Walmart I had it in my wallet, I didn't zip up my purse until I was walking out the door because the card was with the receipt I showed at the door. I remember wrapping the receipt around it and putting it in the outside pocket of the wallet in my purse but I don't remember zipping my purse. Lesson learned. I am glad they caught it wasn't the norm for me and I did find 2 other charges I didn't do which is how they got the address of where the packages were sent to.  IFI hadn't been buying medical stuff I wouldn't have had my card out to begin, I'd paid with cash. 

I need to go deal with produce though at  this point I would rather take a nap.

14 comments:

  1. I can imagine you need a nap, I know I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to crawl out of bed after spending half the night tossing and turning. I can't imagine she is sleeping any better

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry about your daughter's diagnosis. I'm so glad she has you to help, and I think it is great that there are companies that help with a job during treatment. Medical coverage and treatment will be a huge expense so I hope that works out for her.
    I was diagnosed with stage one breast cancer when my children were 3 and 5. I had two surgeries, chemo, radiation, tamoxifen and I am a 18 year survivor. I prayed I would see my children grow up, and He granted my wish.
    I pray your daughter has a good outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear about your daughter. The diet won't be so bad since she is the only one who has to eat that way. Getting the body pH neutral is huge for cancer and that is what the doc is trying to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told her once she adjusts to cooking she will find a lot of her stomach issues to go away. She's swings between cooking during the winter and fast food when it's warm

      Delete
  4. Is there an address where some of your readers could send a little $$$ to help out your daughter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said something to her, her doctor even offered to give her a statement for a gofund me acct but she at this point is trying to get state help and doesn't want to mess that up.

      Delete
    2. Okay, let us know. We could always send a bit through you and you could spend it on what she needs.

      Delete
  5. There is a program here that pays for gas as they contacted me when I had uterine cancer and sent me a gas card for each trip. If you can find that sort of program where you live, you can use the gas money for something else to help her.

    Good luck in getting her all she needs.

    I need to deal with produce, too, but it is dinner so I cannot put it off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And one more thing. In the state of California, a very small amount is deducted from employee paychecks so that in case of any disability, you are paid by the state until you can work again. This isn't Worker's Compensation for an at work injury, this is disability. Is there anything like that in Ohio?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no there isn't. But her Oncologist office is working with her to get her assistance. She said they handed her a stack of papers and said to get them filled out as fast as she could and they would fax them to the correct places for her.

      Delete
  7. I am sorry to hear about your daughter. I will keep her in my thoughts. 4 years ago today my husband began chemo, radiation and surgery for stage 4 cancer. He is three years cancer free! It is a rough road to go down. I also recommend calling the American Cancer society to see what else may be available to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about your daughter. I (14 years ago) worked with a state agency processing food stamp applications. Policy at that time was that if an applicant/recipient provided a letter stating that Sue Jones (made up name) was paying their rent for them but the plan was that the money would be repaid as soon as applicant/recipient returned to work or started receiving say Social Security/SSI then it was not counted as income. I had a recipient that rec'd Food Stamps for himself and his family thru 4 years of college and then he continued to receive when he relocated for medical school. At every review he provided a letter from his mother in law ( she lived in another country) stating she was paying all their living expenses and that upon his completion of medical school he would begin to reimburse her. So there was no money counted as income in the budget but it was explained how the family was living and paying their expenses. A biggy in the Food Stamp program. Oh any monetary assistance- it is better for you or anyone to pay to the provider ( vet for example) than it is for you to give her the money. Paying directly to the provider is considered a vendor payment and giving money directly is a contribution which counts as income. This is Food Stamp policy. I understand Social Security policy is different than this. Will pray for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very sorry for your daughter's diagnosis. I agree that she needs to do whatever it takes to keep the assistance. Here in Oregon, she would qualify for the Oregon Health Plan because her income is very low. But, they do check to make sure the income really is low, so if there's something like that there, she could just fill out forms and give in proof, and she would have coverage. Here in Oregon, because we have gone through this when my husband could no longer work at his job due to severe hip problems, we qualified for health coverage with no co-pay at all. His surgery was 100% covered. I cannot even imagine how long it would have taken us to pay off the co-pays with his previous insurance, even though it was good insurance. I'm very sorry that she is going through a hard time, and needing to work out the details makes it harder, but it sounds like you and the extended family are helping figure things out.

    On a lighter note, you certainly are loaded up with green tomatoes! Our garden did very well this year, but my tomato bushes are basically finished, so I would not be able to process green ones--different area!

    ReplyDelete