Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Staying on frugal track when sick



 you can see the fog droplets frozen looking like white drops on the fence. Not pea soup fog but enough that you can't see the sun while looking straight at it.

Doc called yesterday and checked on me as viral gastroenteritis will trigger Crohn's. They have had some be admitted to the hospital over it. I'm doing okay... bent over HA HA. wait, laughing hurts so does sneezing. 

We are eating from the pantry... Hubby suggested we wait and he would bring food home but I was NO as I pushed for us starting to eat from the pantry Oct 1st Bfast and lunch we are on our own.

1st: Chicken soup for me, home canned chili soup for Hubby Pumpkin roll

2nd: Leftover chicken soup for me, scrambled eggs with odds and ends from frig for Hubby. Cherry pie from M

3rd: mac and cheese, smoked sausage, peas, cherry pie from M 

*** M and E's kids named the baby Ruby. ***

4th: today... shrimp scampi, green beans, mushrooms and diced onion, applesauce.

5th: Baked ham, baked sweet potato, baked apples , spinach for me, yellow hominy for Hubby

6th: Baked scalloped potatoes with ham, baked carrots and pickled beets, blueberry crisp. 

7th: Beef roast with potatoes, carrots and onions and leftover crisp. I will bake a cake for the weekend.

8th: Pancetta, red wine, radicchio risotto (The Secrets of Cucina Povera by Loukie Werle)adding some leftover beef and beef broth and mushrooms. I will add a veggie plate with dip and the cake I bake the day before.

9th: Leftovers that haven't been frozen. 

This is doable even with me being down. Multi dishes in the oven which will also help warm the kitchen dining area. 

Other frugal done.

I priced iron on patches, baking powder and baking soda. I ordered through The Prudent Homemaker's site at Amazon which was 20% cheaper than any where close to me for the bulk amount I wanted. I wouldn't have caught I was low in this area if Hubby hadn't been reading Prepper's pantry and asked. 

Oil lamp on table is lit every morning. Curtains not open until the sun is up.

 Laundry on clothes line or drying rack, sometimes finished on drying rack. 

I made laundry soap.

Furnace is now set on 68 from 8 am to 9 pm and 70 from 9 pm to 8 am. We have used 1 % of the propane in the past week. That is really good.

Tuesday is errand day... no errands for us ... no need for even milk or anything else.


2 comments:

  1. We're doing a lot of freezer and pantry use it up. Last of frozen meatballs last night, naan bread the other. I'm actually going to do a pork loin today for a change. I need to seer then just put in crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of fog! The oil lamp would not be frugal for me as I have asthma. The ambiance must be great.

    ReplyDelete