Monday, April 20, 2020

frugal steps

we saved money for the projects we just got, waited until the 11% rebate and then got the stimulus check to lower what came out of savings. We are looking at what we have that we can reuse for projects as we go.

I washed freezer bags and foil. I once in awhile have to thunk Hubby or he will use a paper plate to eat his snack on instead a of a dish that can be washed. I don't keep a lot to begin with. I use one to cover dishes in the microwave.

I stretch our meals as far as I can go. I ordered more dried beans to be planted and more seeds that are varieties to grow in a UNHEATED green house during the winter.

I started more seeds for plants to input in the gardens in May and June.

I am going to be making masks for us and Son 2, I pulled my wire from my garden to make the "nose" place . I also am making ties and elastic for ears to give our ears a break. I am using old tee shirts, some cotton fabric I have and some flannel. I do have shirt gauze to use as the second layer. That's not the the gauze you use for medical bandages.

I have more plants that I can harvest the seeds to replant next year.

Some things I do without thought. Like making the peels thick on potatoes when peeling for mashed potatoes so I can make potato skins for another meal. Making extra rice so I can do fried rice or rice pudding. Making extra mashed potatoes to make mashed potato patties. Boil extra potatoes when making mashed potatoes to also make home fries., If I have 1/2 serving of anything I think what I am use it in. Might only be tossed into eggs , pasta, soups or casseroles.

We wear our clothes out, mend what we can. Hubby darns his own socks.

The old saying  Quote by Boyd K. Packer: “Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.”

 Is how I was raised , not Hubby , but I was. 

Another one which is how I raised my own kids
“I’m teaching you how to survive in a difficult world. You can’t be under your parents’ thumb forever. You have to take charge of your own life now you’re going to be twenty-one.”
― Rhys Bowen, The Victory Garden


Another one  is
Food will win the war
Herbert Hoover

True, you have to eat health to be healthy and the Victory garden pamphlets suggested assorted veggies and fruit and how much to eat per week per person to stay healthy..

Stay stay, Stay home Stay well 


1 comment:

  1. Good sayings and I think the whole world should read your blog.

    ReplyDelete