Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Hubby feels nagged

 Can't blame him as every time he doesn't do what he should have done I ask how much that choice cost us. Everything he does something he shouldn't have, I ask how much that choice cost us. He is now focused on those issues. AND he wondered why I put everything in a wish list at Amazon for 3 days before ordering. The apple trees, strawberries, grapes, and chives are blooming. Asparagus is running us over. 

We picked up our 12 hanging baskets and 6 flower pots from B on Friday. I added some small plants to cover what I had that didn't make. Not the only one struggling to get seeds to grow. Three of the local green houses had issues also.

We ordered a Heco wood and coal cook stove 520 series.  

I got glass doors as the wife of the Amish seller said she wished she had gotten the glass doors. I was going to get the warming closet until she told me that she had been burned a couple times leaning in to reach the warming closet. She is my size. It should (ha ha) come in sometime in August. MEAN TIME. We need to get wood to get it cured in time.   We plan to order some coal for heating but use wood for cooking. Will have to clean out the firebox when flipping what we are using.

Firewood especially hardwood (think nut trees) is running $300 to $500 a cord. A cord is 4 ft by 4 ft by 8 ft. We got hardwood scraps from one of the Amish building pallets  4 ft by 4ft by 7 ft for $40. E said he had softwood that was good kindling or a quick fire in the summer for cooking that was cured we could have for free.

The only thing from the grocery store has been a gallon of milk.

I did order vitamins that we were short on through Amazon as it was the cheapest.

We did order a solar cube... that should come in this week.

Hubby is hunting for a solar water pump for a deep well that will connect to the pressure tank.

Amish have let us know that they are switching to spelts from wheat flour.  About half of them now are growing it. It's like whole wheat flour. 

Prayers for peace
Blessed Be




15 comments:

  1. We have so many products and purchases that were not needed. I'm trying to be as disciplined as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Son2 said he has went to waiting 5 days before ordering from his wish list and it cut his buying by half.

      Delete
  2. What is the purpose of the new stove? Summer canning outside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an old propane cook stove in the barn that will be for canning.

      The wood/coal stove is for cooking and heating as twice this past winter our 4 yr old furnace broke down (talk about our furnace guy being made at the company that made it) and we almost ran out of propane. If the grid goes down like it did in Texas this will keep us safe and warm

      Delete
  3. Oh I love the stove! You are definitely prepared.
    Let us know what you think of the solar cube
    We had looked into getting a whole house generator, but it was going to be more expensive than I expected, around 10k so I'm trying to think of alternatives. We'll use our portable generator if needed until the gas runs out.
    Interesting about spelt, don't think I have ever tried it before. Is the bread tasty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have a whole house generator that will run all 4 deep freezers and 3 refrigerators. Paid $500 for it at Harbor freights 4 yrs ago. Had our electrician wire it so we can flip a switch and then go turn it on. One is gas, the other is diesel because generators will eat propane like there is no tomorrow. Our lesson learned, thankful it was the landlord that had that issue and not us directly at that time.

      Delete
  4. I am going to make you mad but no way I would belittle my husband that way. It is just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't make me mad and I hate talking to him that way but with his upbringing and mild dementia , it's the only way for him to focus. He was raised living on bank loans and just rerolling it over to a new loan. I was raised to NOT live on debt

      Delete
    2. his family was share croppers and farmed

      Delete
  5. before buying from amazon, please check Lucky Vitamin website, a vast source and much less $$. love your blog, I am in Northwest Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I checked and what I got at Amazon is only 1/3rd the cost at Lucky Vitamin. I am in Northwest Ohio also..

      Delete
  6. It is funny how men listen when it is put in money terms...how much did a decision cost? I love that stove.
    The fruits will be so wonderful when they ripen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have more stove questions. Will you store some wood in case you need it or will you store coal? And where will you keep it in the meantime so that it's handy in case the grid goes down? In the house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be cleaning out the garden shed (which as the wood shed when the Amish family lived here) and repairing the floor to store wood. We were going to tear it down as it is a bit in the way when Hubby is parking the big trailer. We figured out a place to cure it as curing requires air all around it and sun, then it goes under cover to stay dry. We can get scraps and slab wood from the Amish that make pallets (they cut the wood from logs). So our "cooking" will be done with wood. We will also get coal that can be stored in the open. Probably back by the barn.
      Wood burns only 3-4 hrs. before you have to add to it. Coal once it's started will go 10-12 hrs. Takes about 3-4 hrs. to get a good bed of coals. So coal will be used at night. This coal comes in a 40 lb. bag so that's even nicer to deal with than the coal I dug up out of Grandpa's "yard" for him and Aunt to heat and cook with

      Delete