Monday, September 17, 2018

what i buying this month

Our Sam's club membership ends the first part of Oct so I will make a run before than as we don't know if we will need to have that membership since a few of the bulk stores carry flour and sugar in 25 lb bags.

We decide to try to find a local butcher shop and see what specials they have and if that doesn't do well for us we know the local Save A  Lot store (like Aldi's) does a weekly 4 packages of different meat for $19.99. Packages are for a family of 4 so that would make us 2 meals at least.

On the list (which was easy to start since I just moved the pantry and freezers.

50 lbs sugar
25 lbs All purpose flour
25 lbs bread flour
25 lbs White Lily bread flour
25 lbs White Lily All purpose flour (White Lily flours is what Southern's use and I use it in recipes that I got while taking classes down south)
4 lbs light brown sugar
case of ramen noodles
Panko crumbs
Minute rice
Arborio rice
Jasmine rice
case of bean sprouts
case of whole canned potatoes (unless neighbor teaches me to can potatoes)
case of Nacho soup
1 box of manicotti
1 box of jumbo shells
3 jars of red cabbage and apples

Meat...
3 pork loin (I use for roasts and cutting my own pork chops)
4 pork ribs (for BBQ or smoke ribs or flavoring in sauces)
2 pork butt roasts
3 roasting chickens
4 hams
1-5 bone prime rib (At Christmas) (Walter's Wapa OH
2 logs AKA sticks Italian pepperoni (IGA Anna or New Bremen OH)
2 logs of G & R bologna (G & R Waldo OH)
2 cases dinner sausage (Walter's in Wapa OH)
6 whole turkeys. (wings for broths, dark for hubby and white for me)

Hamburger will be bought on sales as I find it
Beef roasts will be bought on sales as I find it

At the Auction I hope to get 

25-50 lbs of onions
50 -100 lbs of potatoes
25 lbs of sweet potatoes


IF I get cabbage I will make freezer slaw.

I have 3 pumpkins that grew in the compost pile the other owners had started so I will freeze pumpkin puree.

If I get more tomatoes I will make more sauce. Neighbor has offered and her tomatoes are the size of soft balls.

I will get  frozen peas,peas and carrots,broccoli,cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts when the local stores have their buy 10 or cheaper.

If the neighbor gives me any more soft ball size bell peppers I will freeze them.


4 comments:

  1. Here I am in the south and my Sam's does not carry White Lily flour. I am green with envy as we have to usually pay for full grocery store prices for it but nary a biscuit is made in this house from any other flour and we make biscuits a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. once in awhile they will have it here. I've got it cheaper at Amazon

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you have a great plan to fill your storage up after moving! I just finished up the 50 pounds of sugar my husband bought several years ago, along with all the 4 pound bags I got last fall. Now, I'm reduced to getting little bags at the store until I find a great deal. I'm not sure I'll get 50 pounds again unless it's a stellar deal...we just don't use much sugar except at canning time, and maybe holiday time. I'm glad you are getting settled there now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am buying a bit more so if the Amish neighbor needs some she doesn't have to go 5 miles to get it,she said she would be making jam until the first hard frost.

      Delete