Monday, April 27, 2020

In the gardens Friday

We had transplanted about 6 strawberry plants to the north field last year. They didn't do well but there was 12 last fall so I decided I would dig them back up and put them in a sq ft garden (this was the old sand box). There was over 2 dozen when I was done digging. They are too close in this box but it will be better than the grass they were growing in.

These are what was left of the old sq ft gardens. We made them out of vinyl decking a co worker had given away when he replaced his deck. I now have snowpeas, peas, beets, carrots, onions, lettuce, spinach, kale, mustard greens etc in the first 2. I will wait a bit before I plant the other 2.

This year's onion patches. 425 (as 25 is in sq ft gardens) of candy onion, big daddy and red candy apple onions. Hubby was a little questioning until I mentioned use 2 a day for green onion for 3 months... that is 180 onions. That leaves 270 onions for storage.... for 270 days so it's only 1 onion a day.

I cut 3 asparagus and diced them to put in the tuna noodle casserole and cut one of the patches of rhubarb and cooked it. What ever is left on Tuesday will go to freezer or into a crisp.

2 comments:

  1. I want to grow green onions. How? It is too warm down here to grow rhubarb, a favorite for me. Ilove your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check this out https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/rhubarb/rhubarb-in-hot-climates.htm

    I have grown green onions in flower pots LOL

    ReplyDelete