Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Little things add up

 Grandson asked how I make my toothpaste last so long.... he is by himself and his mom told him I make 1 tube last a month and I brush my teeth after every meal (yes I had braces, can you tell ? 😏) I asked for him to take a picture of his toothbrush (I had to promise to not post it anywhere, he is not much into social media) after he put the toothpaste on.... I then sent him a photo of mine... he had Mount Rushmore and I had a nice size pea. I told him to ask his dentist. Every dentist I have said PEA size not the 1 inch most toothpaste directions tell you. 

Then I got wondering how much I was spending on toothpaste (I stock that too and I grew up with using baking soda mixed with salt)

www.omicalculator.com/everyday-life/toothpaste

I used the current FULL price which I never spend when buying toothpaste. BUT coupons are getting less and less and sales sometimes are not really sales. So I went with not sales or coupons.

Numbers are based on me using the toothpaste once a day. 

Colgate Renewal 3 oz should last me 15.22 months with the cost of 44¢ per use 

Sensodyne 3.4 oz should last me 17.24 months with the cost of 35¢per use ( I use this twice a day so it would only last me 8.62 months)

Crest 3D white (since I won't bleach my teeth) 3.8 oz should last me 19.27 months with the cost of 19¢per use

Crest Densify 4.1 oz should last me 20.79 months with the cost of 24¢per use.

I spend the most $1.14 (highest amount) and 89¢the lowest amount per day. 

I am okay with that amount unlike Grandson who has been using a tube every two weeks. Since Grandson like to feel foam when he is brushing, I told him to ask Son2 as he is the same way. From the sounds of it, he now has an electric toothbrush, water pic, which toothpaste is the best for the money and Son2 sent him a photo of what the toothpaste should look like. 

Grandson asked about other things.

Dish soap is a very small amount... I use blue Dawn. I buy 56 oz bottles as I use it for other things. Helps keep bugs off Charlotte also. I also add about 18 to 20 oz of water to it before using it on anything. I use 1/2 tsp to wash my hand wash dishes. That is over 2 yrs of dish soap for washing dishes. https://mykitchenmates.com/101-uses-for-dawn-dish-soap/

I hand wash pots and pans so I don't fill both soap cups up in the dishwasher.

Shampoo and conditioner about the size of a quarter, I have thick hair to my hips.

Body wash.. bar soap last longer if you take it out of package for a week before using... use a bath pouf or wash cloth to clean more... you waste more than you think just putting it in your hand. I use a drizzle to a nickel.

Face lotion. a dime during summer and nickel during winter

body lotion about a nickel per area.

Grandpa was a barber, he said to always wipe your razor with rubbing alcohol after using. It would last longer and you wouldn't get razor burn. I have done that and found while the daughters have to replace their blades 3 times more than I do.

I have found that most people (like Hubby used to) just dump what ever cleaner/soap etc. and not really read the amount they should have used to think to try less and see if it still did the job. 

If you want to save money ... you have to think about that type of stuff... especially in this economy and if you are looking at living off social security with very little else.

Prayer for peace 

Blessed be 


5 comments:

  1. I use just a tiny bit of toothpaste and my tube lasts forever! Someone was helping me and put Dawn in a dishpan to wash out the cabinets. He upended the Dawn and used at least 1/8 cup, 2 ounces of Dawn into the dishpan in the sink. I gasped. Then, he would add more Dawn as he worked. Finally, I saw him swishing his hand in the dishpan of water. I asked him why he did that--to make suds to clean better! Where do suds equal cleaning? I use Dove bar soap. I take the soap and rub it on a wet cloth. I never dip the soap into the water or let it sit in water, even when bathing. I must use a bar of Dove longer than anyone on the face of the earth.
    I saw someone using my toothpaste put a line over an inch long on the toothbrush. I actually gasped. "It is what the picture shows" was the excuse used for the excessive amount. How does someone make it for 50 years on that kind of logic?
    At least grandson is interested in not buying toothpaste so often. Saving attitudes carry over to all areas of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can make things last forever also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked back and the price per use of toothpaste seems too high. I don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you use Dawn to keep bugs off of your pets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wet a rag and then drizzle a little blue Dawn on the rag, rub the Dawn into the rag and then wipe her down with it. I do this once a month between times of her flea and tick stuff. With the two we lost a couple years ago I had to wet the rag and drizzle 3 times because of how big they were. I actually had a vet tell me and my ex son in law to use BLUE DAWN even to bath the dogs and cats.

      Delete