Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Room left in the pantry

IF I CANNED IT, DEHYDRATE IT OR FROZE IT ... I don't want to see it on the supper table for a day, ok, a week... maybe a month.

I harvested another batch of potatoes that will give us 3 meals for the winter storage.

 I canned 18 quarts of a mix of seasonings, carrots, tomato and zucchini in a vinegar sugar syrup (think pickled beets syrup without the beets LOL)

I had to actually walk to the gardens to get 2 golden cherry tomatoes and 2 zucchini to finish the last 2 jars. Hubby laughed.

I have room for 1 jar of beets (won't be filled).

I have a row space for some store canned fruit (might not be filled unless I find apricots on sale)

I have plenty of room in the tomato section (pasta sauce, pizza sauce, plain sauce, enchilada sauce, and juice).

I have one row in pie filling in case I get the cherries. Still iffy if they are coming in and if they are getting enough to get some to everyone on the list. 

Fruit/vegetable 22 cubic deep freezer is FULL.

Pork/nuts 22 cubic freezer is taking on the over flow of fruit/veggies but has just enough to handle a couple racks of ribs, a pork loin  and 2 hams. 

The beef/ bread 22 cubic freezer is go a decent hole but since I know the turkey and prime rib will be going in there I will be keeping a good size home in it. 

All 3 refrigerators freezers are full. 

I need to finish straightening up the basement, hang the cured onions and figure out a better storage for herbs and spices.   

I need a better way to store the herbal teas.

LORD I am tired. BUT I am sleeping better since my anemia has been figure out and I am on blackstrap molasses for it. Iron pills don't work to me.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, have been reading your blog a long time, don’t normally comment, but enjoy it very much and wanted to thank you for the time and effort you spend! As I was reading about your pantry and freezers, I wondered how many people you are feeding…I know it is usually you and DH…do your kids also pull from there? I had a 7 cubic foot freezer for my DH and me, and now that he has passed, have not replaced it. Is your storage plan for a year…in general? Just seems like an overwhelming amount of food ;). Thank you again, Hilogene in Az.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used floradix liquid iron found on amazon. It did not constipate, and was feeling better within a couple of weeks. It is pricey but does the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of food! I can understand why you do not want to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you! We just got our homegrown butchered beef. We had to buy a new freezer so have 2 chest freezers now. We gave the upright to our son, who also got a full beef. The new freezer is 3/4 full of beef, butter, turkeys and hams. The old freezer is full of pork sausage, chicken and all the other stuff. I definitely need to get some organization in there. I picked up 2 lugs of Colorado peaches on Friday and will be canning those over the next 2 days. The tomatoes are finally starting to ripen without blossom end rot. The cucumbers are going crazy. We'll be digging the potatoes in the next few weeks. And I really need to be harvesting and drying my herbs. I have 3 pints of basil so far and have done 2 batches of pesto. The kale and chard are waiting on me. And I want to put in a fall garden of lettuce, spinach and more greens (chard, bok choy, cilantro.) My pantries look very similar to yours. My homecanned jars are in the kitchen pantry and the store stock-ups are in the basement.

    ReplyDelete