Friday, November 17, 2023

When you get reminded of some funny things that happen at family holidays.

 Like the house catching on fire (no one hurt but enough damage) right before Halloween and we ended up with the spookiest house because the windows were black and looked like they had spider webs on them.

Same year, had Thanksgiving for 25, used church kitchen up the street. No one could believe we pulled it off but we did.

I made an Alabama Lane cake, went to move it from counter to table and it fell. Hubby caught it in the bowl he was getting for mashed potatoes. Ended up being Alabama Lane cake trifle. I cried over that one.

Deep fryer with turkey in it blew out at controls. Hubby kicked it out of Daughter 2's garage and saved the turkey. She said her garage smelled like turkey for months. No damage to garage or an cars.

Had Tday dinner outside as it was a great day, saw a couple next door and thought it was neighbors friends so invited them to share meal. Neighbor's thought they were kids friends, kids thought they were our friends... Not one of us knew them but it was the best of times. Never could figure out who there were. LOL

Daddy asking me where I got yellow cucumbers because he liked them as well as the green ones. He was eating raw yellow squash and zucchini. Yes we eat them raw. 

When Pop (stepdad) asked what I used to make the turkey moist but not mushy and I handed him a pint of homemade turkey broth that he helped me can. 

When Mother asked what was in the pinwheels... and it was tortilla wrap, cream cheese and diced bell peppers. 

BUT the part that still gets shared to this day... Is when someone will tell the grandkids (most are adults) to NOT SPOIL their dinner by eating from the veggie platter. Daughter 4 still can not live that one down. As she really did tell her kids to not eat from the veggie platter or they would spoil their dinner. Her husband at the time looked at her as she had lost her mind. LOL

7 comments:

  1. When my husband and I were first married, we had a small house in Florida. My parents and sister were coming for Thanksgiving weekend from Pennsylvania. We woke up to a dripping noise, the toilet tank had cracked. I cooked a frozen pumpkin pie, the oven did not work properly, so it was pumpkin soup with a burnt edge. How to cook the turkey?? I microwaved a 15 pound turkey. My dad went to turn it and dropped it on the floor. Gave it a rinse and put it back in. Cooked everything else on the stovetop. Called a plumber, his name was Lucky. A tall drink of water, with Elvis hair and a toilet that was too big. He said to flush with a bucket and he would bring a proper toilet the next day. Dad calls me into the bathroom and shuts the door and says What the HECK is that?? A palmetto bug(a flying giant cockroach) the size of Texas on the door. Somehow it all turned out and the turkey was delish. Good memories. LOL.
    Hope you are feeling better.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First encounter with a palmetto bug is quite an experience! I had 6 chickens n the smoker for a party more than 30 year ago and Hubby pulled on from work and threw open the car door and knocked over the smoker. All those chickens hopped out and went sliding across the carport floor. We scooped them up and took them inside for a wash and put them back in the smoker. Oh man I am glad we did not make 35 people sick that night!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, what memories! Glad you were able to celebrate even after the house fire. I've never heard of an Alabama lane cake, so I had to google. I think I would have cried too, but I'm sure it still tasted good. Wishing you a very happy Thanksgiving (without the fires).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully, I can say we never dropped any food at Thanksgiving. The turkey fryer incident must have been scary. It is good your husband was there and had quick reflexes. What a gift when children fill up on veggies! I can see where she is trying to live that one down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last comment was Linda Practical Parsimony

    ReplyDelete
  5. All my kids growing up years I cut up raw veggies before I started cooking supper and then ignored them coming in and sneaking out with the veggies. Haha, I don't think they ever figured it out.

    ReplyDelete