Wednesday, September 25, 2019

October goals

MY LIST

Take Hubby to Lock 16 steak house in Lima for his 61st birthday.

Start the new budget and not have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

Have the money saved for Christmas.

Place order to King Arthur Flour for specialty items we are low on.

Place order to Amazon for kitchen pans needing replaced.

To have pantry fully stocked.

To have pantry inventoried to base menu on how much is there ..First note I do not start eating mainly from the pantry until Nov 1st. Just a habit from childhood most likely. Hubby's mom said that is how she did also when raising the kids.
Example I have 80 pints of pickled beets, that's at least 1 per week or 1 every 4 days (yes I can eat that much). I have 150 slices of green tomatoes for fried green tomatoes. We eat 8 slices per meal , that's 18 meals. So I can serve it every other week for 9 months or every week for 4 1/2 months. I have 10 cups of corn in freezer that is 10 meals, that's 5 months...(I have corn to process still to add to this). I want these amounts so I can use them up instead of buying something else at the store.

I want to have the bedroom winter curtains done.

I want to have to railing to the deck done. Which means I have to decide how I want it done. I know I want 4x4 posts... I just keep thinking about what I want between the posts as the deck is 3 ft off the ground and I don't want Wilbur and Rascal jumping off and getting hurt. Charlotte is still young enough to handle that jump... she jumps 5 ft high sideways as it is.I think she has springs instead of  legs, must be the terrier part in her.

I want 80 % of the energy audit items completed... and that is on me as Hubby can't caulk worth crap and of course there is tons of caulking to do. LOL.

I want to wash the winter clothes and get them in drawers etc

I want to get the summer clothes in storage.

I need new tennis shoes, not want but actually need.

I want to build a closet in the laundry room.

I want to have summer curtains down, washed, dried and stored

I want to have winter curtains washed, dried and hung

I want to decorate for the fall.

I want to complete 15 things on the punch list.

I would like to make some homemade preserved lemons, roasted red bell peppers and balsamic reduction to add to the pantry.

HUBBY'S LIST 

Take scrap metal, old appliances and old trailer to junk yard which should pay for his tags for the bike and the one trailer.

Last mowing/trimming

Garden down

All vehicles including tractor,mowers etc ready for winter

All air barriers listed in energy audit done or at least started (can't be in attics until it cools down) but the bottoms of porches can be done now.






6 comments:

  1. Every time we have to paint the railings on our 20 x 45 foot deck I wish we have the vinyl ones but the deck was built before they were available. We finally painted them a dark color so that we don't have to do mildew patrol on white paint twice a year. I'm glad you have found so much produce to put up for the winter. We were able to get apple seconds for $6 a bushel yesterday so we have some work to get done here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could find them at that price. Last place I checked wanted $15 for Seconds and they were "mushy" as I bought 1 first to taste it.... I thought about black pipe as the railing but that will get hot during the summer.

      Delete
    2. We thought about the wire and post railings but they are just asking for kids to climb them and part of the deck is 5 feet off the ground. I really like them because they don't block the view.

      Delete
    3. we are thinking wire as we have panels that we can use.

      Delete
  2. How do you freeze your green tomatoes? I love them and green tomatoes are so expensive in the winter. I am pretty excited about the prospect of having green tomatoes frozen this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wash and slice (SNICKERING as I know you would already do that), then bread in a flour mixture with corn starch (2 parts flour 1 part corn starch) that I sift together. Then freeze on wax paper on cookie sheets for at least 20 min. I can get 2 layers with wax paper between and then put another wax paper over so they don't get freezer burn if you leave them longer than 20 -30 min. If you want you can do a second layer of the breading then and freeze 30 min then bag. You can do equal amounts of corn starch, flour and corn meal also. I don't put the second layer on because we like our green tomatoes battered with Whistlestop green tomato batter. I just do it when I go to cook them. They won't hold long...maybe the longest is 6 months. Won't taste the same but is good enough.

      Delete